The Nobels


Nobelity, the movie I saw with Mitzker tonight, features some fine interviews with Nobel Prize winners. The interviews focus on the state of the world and possibilities for our future. These scientists and activists offer some somber words, some hopeful thoughts, some reasonable ideas and ideals. We especially liked the interview with Wangari Muta Maathai, Peace Prize winner in 2004. She planted trees and connected environmentalism with peace and prosperity.
It was a good end to a grindy day of grading.
Lewison took this photo of some goslings in her yard just this morning. In our own backyard, Teen Daughter spied a cat cruising through with one of our wild bunny pals, dead, clenched in its jaws.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yikes. Poor bunny. I hate that. I'm gonna have to rent that movie. What a great way to end your weekend. I know you did way much grading.
jw
LH said…
I should be grading tonight, as well, but I'm wimping out and heading to bed early. i wish the cats could nab a few chipmunks and leaves the bunnies be.
Julie Anna said…
Jerry The Very Fat Cat has killed many baby bunnies, much to my chagrin and disgust. Meanwhile, the moles who are destroying the yard live in perfect safety. Nature is hard on bunnies and pet chickens.
Anonymous said…
The hawks -- or maybe the feral cats, we're not sure -- that live in the vicinity of my office took out at least 10 of the 12 the baby ducks born last spring on the phony "lake" that surrounds my office. Fortunately none of us witnessed the "takings out" directly. Haven't yet seen any baby ducks this season. Is it still too early? Or did they "get the message" and move on. Squirrels are quite active in the walnut tree outside my 3rd floor window, eating the very blossoms that, if left alone, would later provide them with walnuts. Stoopid.

mary
LH said…
i guess some of these animal friends are just natural born killers.

the stoopid squirrel may be young, with poor impulse control. I teach people who fit this description and it sounds to me like there might be some kinship here.
on another note...
it's thursday. and that's just not good enough for me.

Popular Posts