The Living


Over the course of this pandemic, I want to work with Husbandman on his bird identification skills.

Yesterday he called out to me, "Hey! We have baby woodpeckers in the maple tree!  Come check it out!"

I was excited, not going to lie.  I rushed over to the window and stared out, searching for the baby woodpeckers, hoping they would be pileated.  I scanned the maple tree from top to bottom several times.  Finally I asked, "Do you mean those 2 birds?"

He did.

"Those are nuthatches.  Adult nuthatches."

Seriously.  We've been birding, admittedly at an amateur level, for years, so I really see no reason for this kind of mistake.

I'm going to be designing a refresher course for Husbandman.  He's obviously been dialing it in for the past few years.  We'll start with these two photos.






Comments

mm said…
I have nuthatches out in the space in front of my deck!
KC said…
He'll make a great first user of the Birding Bonus App
jdoc said…
The kids and I spotted our first rose breasted grosbeak in the yard today. We know this because we described it carefully to Siri and she told us what it was. Could your app have that feature?
LH said…
... I love nuthatches, the way the crawl upside down on the tree trunks.
We can see the importance of the app and I love the idea of adding in a SIRI component, but it might be ME instead of SIRI.
Which would be a fun new job for me.

Also, i love the rose breasted grosbeaks. Those are 20 point birds.
Julie said…
This cracks me up. Husbandman, please do better. Of course my own dear husband pointed to a DAFFODIL this Spring and asked me what flower it was. I was shocked, to say the least.
LH said…
That's hilarious.

I guess they've been busy thinking of other things.

Popular Posts