The Water Snake and the Tin Whistle

Okay, everyone, huddle up.  I can still pull off 20 blog entries about action and adventure in August.  It's going to require a herculean effort on my part, but let's face it, I've done harder things.  At this moment in time, I can't recall anything I've done that might be considered harder than 19 entries in the next 21 days, while working full time in Thirdland, but whatever.  I'm pretty sure I can do it. And if I can't, who really cares?

The first 3 days of school are behind us. Great crew of Thirdlanders this year and we've already had an adventure or two.  I'll share one thusly.

Let's set the scene first.  Recess.  Thursday afternoon.  I'm carrying my tin whistle because I'm experimenting with using a tin whistle to call Thirdlanders to line, rather than blowing on the hideous playground whistle I abhor and deplore.  I'm getting to be an expert at making creative sounds on instruments I don't know how to play, such as the harmonica as well as the tin whistle. Thinking of getting a bodhran, which I've already mentioned in a previous post, and a cowbell and a zither.  

Anyway, that's neither here nor there.  As we crossed the bridge, the thirdlanders pointed out a small water snake in the creek, completely submerged, biding its time.  That small snake was still as a "sheltered space when winds blow loud."  We stood and watched it for awhile. A Thirdlander said, "See if you can make it move with your whistle."  With little confidence, I began to make sounds with the whistle by blowing air through its fipple and metallic barrel, popping my fingers up and down on the finger holes in a random fashion.  Sure enough, the snake began slithering and gliding toward the bridge, even lifting its head above the water. Thirdlanders were pretty darned impressed for awhile.  Then the snake swam under the bridge and we moved on to some playground playing.

 Add snake charming to my repertoire of skills, please.




Comments

mm said…
I'm pretty darned impressed too!
Nancy said…
Who really cares??? Well I DO!!! You can do it! Your adventures are mesmerizing. You are a real charmer!
N
KC said…
amazing! What a great recess adventure. Way better than other recess adventures like people hitting one another or breaking their arms falling off the equipment.
Julie Anna said…
Wow! You’ve probably got the new Thirdland eating out of your hands after that performance!
Judy said…
If anyone can do all of this, it is you!!
jw

Popular Posts