Action and Adventure in August #5: The Tiny

There's a woman I know who spent 4th of July weekend in a tiny house.  Before I left for Toronto, she and I talked about her upcoming tiny adventure.  She knew everything about tinies. I saw her on Saturday and asked how it all went.  FYI:  She was in a 275 square foot tiny, which isn't super tiny in the world of tinies, but still, it's tiny.

"I'm not too hooked on living in a tiny anymore," she told me.  "It was fine, but there's no place to store anything. No place for a vacuum cleaner.  No place for a broom, even.  I got to see some workers emptying the septic tank, so that was interesting.  Also, another tiny arrived so I got to see it being placed on the foundation, and I enjoyed that.  There was some trouble with the lights, so that was unfortunate.  My dog enjoyed getting away for the weekend, but I've decided tinies aren't for me.  I kind of felt like a college student living in a dorm room."

I was disappointed in her report.  I'd been hoping for a more gung ho debriefing.  Some adventures don't pan out, let's face it, and yet, I still would like to try the tiny for myself sometime. I think this gal needed to think bigger where tiny living is concerned.  Watching the septic tank workers and the loading of a tiny onto a foundation?  I would do it all differently and I hope some day to get the chance.

Comments

Julie said…
Coinkadinkally, I've been watching Tiny House Nation on netflix. These are some really cool tiny houses, but they have this engineer/builder guy who does some extra cool stuff and is a tiny house expert. I'm not sure a normal person would have access to this kind of expertise, so I'm wondering if a normal tiny would be designed so efficiently. And as my mother watched an episode with me, she kept telling me how ridiculous it was to think anyone could live in a tiny house. This echoed the sentiments of the mothers of the tiny house people on the show. I found her comments discouraging, even though she may be right. I've always thought I could give it a go although I live in a pretty small house as it is and am having trouble keeping my stuff pared down. Watch the show and see what you think.
mm said…
I live in a one bedroom condo, and that's tiny enough for me.
KC said…
I love tinies, but I'm concerned about smells in them.
Judy said…
My nephew is going to live in a tiny house as an adult, and I'm sure it's because he doesn't want anyone to stay with him.
jw

Popular Posts