Action and Adventure in August #8: The Good Bye Party



There are a few Thirdlanders that like to tag around with me at recess.  Some are in my class, some aren't. Yesterday they wanted to pretend that recess was a good bye party for one of the crew because she was moving away after school.

A suggestion was made that we share memories of our friendship at our goodbye party.  "You can add your own memories," one told me.

I've only known some of these kids for a couple of weeks, but whatever. They chatted as I scanned the horizon for walnut throwers, swing jumpers, monkey bar trapeze artists and injured soccer players.

"Remember when we met in Kindergarten and we talked about being friends?" one asked.  They chatted about that good memory until I broke in.  "Remember the time we were in Paris and we went to the top of the Eiffel Tower at night?  The city lights were so beautiful."

They stared at me for awhile until one gal said, "That never happened, Dr. H."

"Oh come on.  You couldn't have forgotten about that," I countered.  "What about that Hawaii trip where we saw that pod of humpback whales and they were jumping out of the water right next to our boat?"

They just went back to their memories about playing at Bryan Park Pool and sleepover arguments.  Honestly, it was as if I wasn't even at the party the way they chattered about their own private adventures.  Finally the whistle blew and the party ended.  That one kid has left town and is probably in her new state by now.  We miss her already.

Comments

mm said…
This is the best ever! I love the adventures you added to the memories.
KC said…
Love this. I always liked to make future plans with my middle schoolers. "See you this weekend at the Space Needle!" They'd look at me as if I were nuts. Haha!
Judy said…
Now that's funny.
jw

Popular Posts