Action and Adventure in August #4: The Mission Possible

I read in Ross Gay's The Book of Delights that there are some pawpaw trees on the IU campus.  The Ross Man highly recommends the pawpaw as a fruity delight.  I've given Husbandman an adventure mission.  He must find the pawpaw tree and return home with its fruit.  Husbandman might do it, but he's not sure.  He actually didn't seem super enthused. Not sure why he can't get this done.  He works on the IU campus Monday through Friday.

FYI:  The pawpaw is sometimes called the Indiana banana.  It's weird that I've never eaten a pawpaw.  I've lived in Indiana for over three decades.  Eating a pawpaw will be a new adventure. If Husbandman gets the job done.

Comments

mm said…
C'mon Husbandman. It's time to find the Paw Paw.... #foradventure
KC said…
The directions are simple and actionable. Let's do this!
Julie said…
There are pawpaw trees along most of the hiking trails in this area, but I never see pawpaws on them. I did find one in Spring Mill one time. However, someone occasionally sells pawpaws at the farmer's market, so I have eaten one. I didn't care for it. Personally, I've never seen a pawpaw tree on campus, but since I walk through the wooded area ALL the time, I'll take a closer look. The challenge is on, husbandman.
Julie said…
A pawpaw related story: years ago I was hiking with some friends, one of whom, Mike P, is a consummate punner. So we were hiking through a woods in NC where there were hundreds and a hundreds of pawpaw trees, and the woods were fairly thick and it had recently poured ran. Mike said, "It's like we're making our way through the forests of New Guinea," and I said, "PawPaw New Guinea." Mike laughed but was somewhat angry with himself for not coming out with what, in hindsight, was a very obvious and wonderful pun.
LH said…
Husbandman "forgot" to look today.

FYI, Jules: The Ross Man says that the "grove" of pawpaws is between Ballantine and the PResident's house.

Pawpaw New Guinea. I like this.

Popular Posts