The Rail

I was walking to the office yesterday and this little kid and his sister walked out. "I'm sick," the first grader said, smiling away.
"Sorry to hear that bud."
"I vomited two times. At recess." He offered with pride.
"Yikes. Hope you feel better."
He walked past me toward the stair well and his mom came out of the office and said, "He keeps getting sick. He passes it to his sister and she passes it back and it keeps going like that. Look what's he's doing now. That's how he keeps spreading germs."

I turned around to see the kid, his mouth wide open, walking down the stairs and sucking on the handrail at the same time. He was basically covering the entire hand rail with his saliva as he moved down from one stair to the next.

I just stared and said to the mom, "Yeah, that's how it happens."

Geez, kid, think it through.

Comments

Julie Anna said…
That's really gross. Did mother tell him to STOP doing that? Cripes.
Anonymous said…
Ugh! And think of all the germs he just put into his own mouth. Yuck!
I think you ought to start wearing rubber gloves. Get the purple ones.
D/
Anonymous said…
OK - What's with the Nun Blog?

D/
KC said…
omg, that is so disgusting. super, super disgusting.
Anonymous said…
I told my class this story today--lots of handwashing going on! It really is disgusting. I think I may start wearing gloves around school as well.
N
Anonymous said…
Did you know there's a utube especially for teachers? teachertube

D/
LH said…
I just heard about that and want to check it out later.
I'm up at a "mclass" workshop. Kind of annoying.
Re: the Nun Blog... I read Sr. Anne's Hands to a group last week and this came up when i googled that book.
Anonymous said…
Re your twitter:
Who gets to use the frus button - you or the frustrated kid?
D/

Popular Posts