The Stories

On this weekend, I've listened to podcasts and read the newspaper. I love the diagnosis piece that runs in the NYT magazine. This week the story told about a woman who could no longer walk and no one could figure out why. Finally a doctor figured out that it might be caused by using too much denture adhesive, which contains high amounts of zinc. And then I listened to the story of a doctor named Jack Geiger who was befriended by the great actor, Canada Lee. This piece was on This American Life, in the episode about the kindness of strangers. Jack Geiger was a founder of Physicians for Social Responsibility. I wouldn't mind being a doctor. I've had a nagging concern for my own profession since starting the new job. I love the idea of figuring something out and fixing it as in the case of the denture adhesive. I also love the idea of repositioning the job into broader work for human rights, as in the case of Jack Geiger.
If Teendaughter or #1 son could become doctors, I could learn more about what's involved with being a physician, almost firsthand. We may be getting a clinic in our new school that's being built, and maybe I could work part time in there to get true firsthand experience.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You might want to google joanbauer.com and then click on her Teaching 9-11.
It will be 8 years.
Who can ever forget?
D/
cb said…
I like this thought path and the idea of exploring new ways to live and work. And all the while you are taking some very wonderful photos.
love,
cb
LH said…
Thanks, D. Please keep the ideas coming. Let's get together soon por favor.

C, I do like the pix too, so thanks for commenting. I think my two fawns feeding is pretty darned good.
LH said…
except for the mom having the white eyes. Which I tried to fix but couldn't.
KC said…
I went to joanboauer.com, and I will definitely use it. I am glad to have literacy workers here on alittleleeway to help me out.
Anonymous said…
I've seen that hoarding program. Now you should take a look at Doctorow's new book, Homer & Langley: A Novel.

D/
Anonymous said…
If you don't have Messages to Ground Zero: Children Respond to September 11, 2001, collected by Shelley Harwayne with the NYC Board of Ed, you can borrow mine. It's fabulous. Writing by kids of all ages who were there.
But it means you have to come get it tonight.
D/
Anonymous said…
Edwin. Grade 7.
There were people running up Broadway
I don't know how I can help
All I saw were scared faces
I don't know how I can help
Many were talking to each other,
"What is the next target?"
I don't know how I can help
I smelled the panic
I don't know how I can help
Dust on cars, smashed and wrecked trucks, sound of sirens
I don't know how I can help...
Anonymous said…
Jack. Grade 4.
The Day
Everyone started the day like any other.
The usual hustle and bustle of the morning.
People drinking huge mugs of coffee.
Until,
Something unusual happened,
two airplanes crashed into the
World Trade Center.
The whole city froze for a second.
The whole world froze for a second.
Now everything is different.
LH said…
I'll be there.
I have a meeting with Mitzi at 4:30 and then I'll head your way.
Around 6?

thx!

geez. those poems.
Anonymous said…
See you around 6.
D/
Julie Anna said…
hey girlfriend, just catching up on the blog. I was many many blog entries behind. Hope things are going well. We need a gathering soon!
Anonymous said…
oh, man those poems.
jw
Anonymous said…
Re your Tweet: Now I feel terrible, and will probably get death threats. The last thing I want to do is hurt a member of the Sisterhood. Because of your love for TD I just wanted you to think about making her happy by continuing your selfless ways.
I love you woman!
D/
LH said…
I know. I was being silly with the twittering. But now it's gone, baby, gone.

Have you seen that Ben Affleck movie?

I'm thinking about having kids write about their educational goals today after reading Our Children Can Soar. Then I think we'll make paper airplanes. They can fly them with their parents tonight at Open House.

Popular Posts