The K

I had to give a meaningless math test to a K this week. The scores were used to determine how much free tutoring might be available after school, so it didn't matter at all who scored what. So I was zipping through it like a bat out of hell.
"This girl has 3 books and this girl has 3 books," I said, tapping at the pictures. "How many books do they have if they put their books together?
The K laboriously counted, tapping each book, and then looked up and said, "6?"
"Exactly. Write it down."
"What does 'write it down' mean?"
"Write 6 on the line there."
The K laboriously worked on writing down a 6 and when he was done, he held up a finger, pointing as if to make a point. "Wait a minute. 3 plus 3 is six?"
"Yeah. It is."
He looked at me for several seconds and then said, "I always thought it was 33."

The K's prior theory made a lot of sense to me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a wonderful story. I hope you're keeping these. I think you could have a book in the making.
It's also interesting that a phrase we use unthinkingly ("Write it down.") was meaningless to him.

D/
Anonymous said…
mrsa!?! How awful. I thought you only caught that when you spent time in a hospital. How did you do it?
M. has been plagued with a bacterial infection.
Maybe your travels had something to do with it.
Hope it's not too painful, and gets cured ASAP.
D/
KC said…
you probably got mrsa from that bannister licker??
Anonymous said…
How's the mrsa today?
jw
LH said…
mrsa's the same today.
I am a little down about it, ttytt.
But I'll live.

I did visit a pal in the hospital less than 2 weeks ago. Maybe I picked up some mrsa there?
We may never know.
Twinkie said…
LOL a little late on reading blogs... but.... better late than never?

DH used to think that 1+1=11 Needless to say he didn't end up with his masters in math... but he did get his masters... so I guess there's hope yet.

Popular Posts