The Attitude

Yesterday I was in second grade. One little girl was in a time out at her desk while the other kids were having free time. Her teacher said she had to "lose the attitude." The girl seemed not at all sad but kept asking the teacher questions like, "Can I get a book?" and "How long do you think I'll be sitting here?" and "Are there any activities I could do here while I'm waiting?"
The teacher went over the whole concept of time out again with her and the kid nodded like she was taking it all in. Then she put her head down on her arms and said, "Maybe I'll just lay my head down here on the table and pretend I'm sleeping like a little dog."
The teacher said, "Yeah, that'll work."

It's pretty funny being with these kids and teachers. Tonight's Open House. I feel no anxiety whatsoever. I'll just walk around and chat with people.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Last week I saw a review of the book, Our Children Can Soar, and put it on an order list titled...get asap.
jw
LH said…
REad it to some second graders today. We had a very awesome time.
Anonymous said…
Glad you're enjoying Our Children... I think it's an awesome book.
The "writing" ones I mentioned yesterday are on their way to you. You should have them tomorrow. (In case you want to use them in your Sunday planning.)
D/
Anonymous said…
I like the paper airplane directions. Did you end up using them for open house? I wonder what would happen if the kids wrote notes on them before folding and flying.
D/
LH said…
Yes, they wrote their
"goals for their education." We talked about Obama's speech, wrote some goals, read the book, and then made paper airplanes and I think they're going to fly them with their parents tonight. Not sure about that. But the book is fantastic. They knew Ruby Bridges, Rosa Parks, and Martin, and Barack. Then we talked about the other people.
I read it to 4 classes today. I just decided to hang out in classrooms today. Now I'm hours behind on everything, but I feel like I've regained my sanity. So, thanks!
Anonymous said…
UPS left your package on your porch. Did you find it?
D/
LH said…
omg, I just got home, I'll check at once. I don't really remember us talking about books about writing???? But I'm super happy to be getting a package!

Popular Posts