The Hat


I used to knit one stitch scarves, but the knitting with the schoolpeeps has prompted me to seek out some actual knitting instruction. To date, I've made one slipper and a so-called hat. Knitting Teacher took one look at my "hat" and said, "Hmmm... I think this can be salvaged." She went to work on miraculously transforming it into something wearable. Another knitter amused herself by laughing at my hat and making comments like, "THAT'S a hat?" and "Who could possibly wear that, ha ha ha..." and on and on in a like vein. After only a few months of lessons, she's successfully working on an admittedly stunning dress for her child. I'm happy for her and for her child, but she annoyed me with her constant interruptions, to share photographs of other amazing and wearable knitted items she's created.
JW and I agree that our knitting group is not the funnest. The gals and guy at the other end of the room (advanced knitters) talked about Top Chef during their class, so I tried to lighten up our group by retelling the MADE episode viewed that day about the college boy who was hoping for a first kiss. Frustratingly, the class devolved back to knitting and knitting related topics. I'm working on a new hat for next week, but my confidence is shaky and, sadly, I doubt my ability to get the job done.

Comments

Julie Anna said…
hey friend, when do you take the class? I've been meaning to take a knitting class forever because I can only do the one stitch, and thus max out a scarves. Maybe I could help turn the conversations as well. I, too, would rather people did not comment on the inadequacy of my knitting if I was there to learn. How rude. I'm fairly good at crochet, but crochet makes sense in a mathematical way that knitting does not. My goal is socks. Would it not be awesome to be able to knit a nice pair of warm socks? Given your class experience, is this a pipe dream?
LH said…
Hey Friendie, They actually have a sock class, but I think you've got to take the beginning class before you get in there. I want to make those fingerless gloves. But I think that's beyond me right now. I have to start over on hat #2. Right now my class is over, so jw and i are dropping in on tuesday night drop ins. Costs 5$. Come along!

Popular Posts