The Plans



I now go in to see the architectural plans for the new school that will be built next year, the one I will work in, perhaps for the remaining duration of my life. I've tried to be a responsible participant in the process of planning the new building by touring 2 other new schools, taking photos and notes, attending meetings after school about the proposed building. I've found that what one teacher wants another teacher despises. I wanted a built in desk, for instance, but another teacher told the architect, "Do not put built in desks in this school." The other problem with giving input is that I have no spatial-visual competency (a term I have just now invented) so when the architect points to the plans and says, "Would you like the computers here, or over here?" I have no idea how to answer. I can't even imagine how one spot might differ from the other. I respond with hemming and hawing and wondering aloud. And going off on some tangents. I feel a little sorry for the architect, but I guess it's just part and parcel of her career path. Off to school.

Comments

LH said…
Update...I got the built in desk I wanted. Woohoo.
Julie Anna said…
It's not unusual to be spatially non-visual. As a builder, the hubbie works with many people who cannot envision a space until it is built around them. This makes his job more difficult, but it's just part of it. If the customer has enough money, they will sometimes have him build something and then tear it down and rebuild it a different way. One customer had him repaint a door seven times because she couldn't visualize how the color would look until it was painted. It happens. Glad you got your desk. I wish we would get new wallpaper and carpeting here at the Franklin Hall cave. It's just gross in here. Downright offensive.
LH said…
Hey J, That aspect of the job would drive me insane. Another thing I notice is how picky people can get about the plans. Some peeps seem so specific in what they want from the architect. It gets on my nerves, but the architect is super patient.
KC said…
I have the same problem. we just built a deck, and i went outside to tell slow joe how awesome i thought it looked. didn't you know it would look like this? he asked. no, i said, i had no idea, even tho i'd seen the drawings.
Anonymous said…
Is the paper finished?
How is the foot? I am wanting to walk and talk, but maybe we should just sit and sip. What do you think?
Nancy
LH said…
Paper's about to be finished. I want to see you and chat about your trip. can we have a lunch or breakfast date asap?
Anonymous said…
A lunch or breakfast date sounds wonderful. I will call you!
N
Anonymous said…
As the stage manager of a play this spring, it was my job to figure out where all the sets and props were to stay when they weren't on stage, as well as how they were to get on and off. I pretended for a couple days that I had a plan cooking before my friend (the director) called me out on my non-spacial-visuality. And then sat with me for two hours mapping out a plan in the simplest terms possible. You have it or you don't, I guess.

-Roz
LH said…
true that, teendaughter.

nance...breakfast or lunch manana?

Popular Posts