The Wik


I finally finished The Other Boleyn Girl. A good read, but I wish historical fiction came with footnotes. I spent almost as much time reading the book as I did on wikipedia learning about the actual Mary Boleyn. #1 son tried to sabotage the people's encyclopedia last week by posting ridiculous lies about the University of Chicago, complete with false citations. Our cousin Jeff investigated further when I told him about this, and he told #1 that his info lasted on Wikipedia for 14 minutes. #1 was proud but I'm going to continue to nag against shenanigans of this ilk.

Comments

Twinkie said…
Tell #1 son he has our cheers for a great moment of fame. :)
Anonymous said…
i've heard that book is an engrossing read. do you recommend for the post-partum period? i must admit that i didn't have time to finish lisa see's book about foot-binding before the library wanted it back, but i am 100 pages into #6 of the no. 1 ladies detective agency, a series i like.
LH said…
I am not positive I'll pass on your cheers, T. He's getting encouragement enough from somewhere. How's summer, kiddo??? Are you moved yet?

KC, Not sure I would recommend it. It was good, but I would not call it engrossing. I read the first of the ladies' detective and liked it a lot. i'm not a series reader, so i stopped there.
Julie Anna said…
I thought the book was interesting, and like you, it did spur me to do a little research--the history is very interesting. But I thought it was a bit too repetitive on some of the key points. I kept saying in my head, "Got it already." I read The Queen's Fool, and felt the same way about the needless repetition of certain points. Have not read any more of her books for that reason.
LH said…
Right. Because every pregnancy created a big stir of hopefulness for a boy child, the book is full of drama around pregnancies. And that gets repetitive. But I am glad I read it so I got a little review of the history of the horrible Henry VIII and his courtly cohorts.

Popular Posts