The Camp

#1 son called from Band Camp tonight. He said the camp has had its ups and downs. The classes are great, but when he's not in class, he's either playing ping pong, or walking into the town, the one with just a gas station and an antique shop that closes at 3 each day. He and his pal have 2 roommates. I asked him if they were nice and he said flatly, "They're emo."
I'm not sure what emo means so rather than ask questions, I faked it by saying, "Emo. That's funny."
"For us it's not," #1 answered.

After the call, I read a little more about emo. I think it could be funny to have emo roommates.

2 recent recommendations:
History of Love by Nicole Krauss (novel)
Don't Mess with the Zohan (movie)

Comments

KC said…
i read and enjoyed the krauss.
Rachel said…
I also read and enjoyed the Krauss. I read it while I was in Duluth watching my brother-in-law run Grandma's marathon, and my mom and sister run the half-marathon. Something about that book helped me through some serious feelings of incompetentness and worthlessness. Really, really, really thought it was a beautiful book.
Anonymous said…
Emo=Emotionally disturbed, perhaps?
LH said…
The Krauss book is really extraordinary. I wonder where I was when it was released, it's been reviewed by everybody on the planet. That author is so crafty. I may have to read her other book.

anon, i'm not sure what's with emo, but when i shared my limited knowledge of it with teen daughter today, she felt I was given bad info.
jdoc said…
I met some emo kids in our research study this year. I liked them very much.
LH said…
thanks for weighing in jdoc. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for some emos.
Unknown said…
what's odd about that krauss is how similar it is to the safran foer. they're married.
Anonymous said…
oh that was me, not dan, in that last comment.
LH said…
this is good to know. i have not read anything by foer.

Popular Posts