The Payment


As much fun as Chicago was, that’s how unfun my week has been. My ass has been thoroughly kicked and I’ve struggled with that horrible feeling of not being in the game all week long. The week’s been pretty typical. The tense conversation with parent who’s mad at me because their kid is a forger. Conference with parents of the kid who thinks it’s alright to smack another kid with a ruler. Come on, she was bugging him. Then there were the kids who played at falling back into each other’s arms. Sadly someone decided not to catch one kid who banged her head on the hard floor. I taught with migraine aura blurring my vision this morning and after being interrupted by one little sassette for the 50th time, I asked her to write me an apology. The resulting note read something like, “I’m really sorry I interrupted. I was interrupting because I find what you’re teaching so boring. I’m also bored by the books you read us. I like your class, but I’m often very bored. And that’s why I talk.” I had to laugh especially since I only had 5 minutes left before the sixers headed to lunch and I got to head out of the compound.
Though true, the cruel adage, if you play you pay, really sticks in my craw.
This weekend I'll catch up and start again.
If I grade, I'll have it made.

Comments

Anonymous said…
you don't need to grade.
Undomestic said…
Your sweet sixers are beginning the transition to satanic seventh graders...and then they'll finally ascend to elite eighth graders.
KC said…
i am so crazy about your use of the term "sasette." so funny. and i've gotten that note in the past, as well. that kind of adolescent passive-agressiveness is really a swell teaching perk. next week will be better, i think. we just have to hang on.
Anonymous said…
I understand how you feel about, "if you play you pay". If I don't spend a couple of hours at school on the weekend, I am behind all week. I will be off to my compound tomorrow morning.

As for your bored sixth grader. Tell her there are boring times in life. Get used to it!

Did you hear the NPR note this week about the reason a majority of kids drop out of school is, "they are bored"? They say they could pass and get the grades if they wanted to. They just are to bored to bother. Maybe all the teachers should stay home next week 'cause we are bored of children using boring as an excuse. Yawn.

But we can't because we always find something to love about them. Even when they are trying our last nerve or boring us to tears.

Jeff
Anne said…
At a recent Dean's lunch, the Dean of the law school asked what we thought of law school. One of the younger students responded, "I'm so bored. I had no idea law school would be so boring."

I literally had to close my gaping jaw with my hand. That bored thing just irks me beyond belief. Next thing you know, that student's parents will be complaining that she is so intelligent and you are not stimulating her enough.

I belive boredom comes from the inside, not from external stimulation. If your mind is active, how can you be bored?
LH said…
hey friendies,
i think someone said once,
boring is as boring does.
or is that
ugly is as ugly does?
i'm feeling quite pleased with the amount of grading that occurred this weekend. plus i watched kinsey on friday night. way good.
here's to another week full of intrigue and drama,
l
Julie Anna said…
I totally agree that boredom comes from the inside, and even wrote a blog entry something to that effect. I blame tv, but then I blame tv for most things. A friend of mine tells her kids at home, "Bored rhymes with Chores, so here's your list." Of course, these words are not the best rhyme, but still. Thank you for teaching the children of the world...this is not something I could deal with.
LH said…
hey traveller, glad you're home.

i don't know if i blame tv. i watched super nanny and wife swap last night and i'm rarely bored.

i wish i hadn't seen wife swap because now i'm kind of into it.
Anonymous said…
NPR covered recently a story on research showing that many high school drop-outs drop out becuase "they are bored." "The teachers are boring." "The subject matter is boring,and it's not relevant to their lives." You wanna talk about boring? Let's talk about that low paying, no future job you're gonna get without a high school diploma. I'll show you boring.

I was often bored as a teen. But rarely by school. It was the rest of my life that was boring and irrelevant. Now I occasionally wish for those days.

mary
LH said…
hi ms. m., I was bored a few times last year when we were on sabbatical. BORING ROCKS!
I remember those times with such fondness.

Popular Posts