The Kinsey



Most days I slog by the Kinsey house, and viewing the Kinsey movie last week put me in a mood to learn more about these famous Bloomingtonians. Besides, my friends are everywhere this week-- Kauai, Kiawah, Kabul--and my day needed some spicing up. I ventured out on a field trip to an exhibit called “Was there a Mrs. Kinsey?” Like most exhibits at our history museum, this one was small enough to be viewed in five to ten minutes, but I’ll share the little I learned. Clara was a brilliant chemistry student, but gave up her graduate work when she married. Clara Kinsey liked hiking. She and Alfred took a hiking honeymoon. They were summer camp counselors in Vermont. Clara took girl scouts out to hike and led faculty wives on hikes as well. She taught swimming lessons. When she found dead animals she would save them in the freezer until she got a chance to dissect them with her kids. She saved a lot of her clothes and these were on display. 3 hiking outfits were considerably stained and carefully patched. If I were Clara and still alive, I probably would feel slightly embarrassed to have my muckiest outfits displayed so prominently. Her wedding dress had a big stain on it too. She was not the neatest, but she was neighborly and many of our town’s citizens remember her fondly.

Comments

KC said…
this totally cracked me up. saving roadkill in the freezer was just too much, but i could relate to the stained clothes. but even i didn't spill on the wedding gown. i did, however, sell it to a consignment shop and now it has a new owner.

anyway, it sounds like you're rocking the break pretty hard. :)
LH said…
It was funny how pretty much every panel about her mentioned hiking in some form.

one interesting story I did not share was that when she dissected a snake that she killed in her backyard, she found the skeleton of her kid's gerbil that had gone missing that week.
This is fascinating stuff about Clara Kinsey to be sure.

We did take a short hike today, so I haven't written this spring break off yet. But something fun better happen asap.
Anonymous said…
You must have been inspired to take the hike by your visit to the museum. What will the plaques say about us when we are gone? She loved brownie mix and sudoku puzzles.
LH said…
mine would probably say something like, "She really enjoyed listening to the radio. And she blogged several times a week."
Anonymous said…
Clara Kinsey's granddaughter is my gynecologist.
jw
LH said…
i don't think i knew that.
have you seen the movie about her grandparents? that will affect all future interactions with her. Maybe.
p.s. are you home yet?

Popular Posts