The Wallowing

Today was my first day back to school after over a year away. I spent six hours schlepping boxes from my old huge classroom, the one with a private office, into my new minute classroom, the one with no private office. I left a zillion books behind for my former partner because they're too young for my new group and because I'm a philanthropist. After I schlepped everything into the new space, stress really set in as I stared at the boxes of books that need to be placed in bookshelves that do not exist. If I ever do get the room in order, I'm going to need some lesson plans and I have no idea how I want to begin the school year. If I ever do get settled on some themes and develop some cool units, I probably won't ever have time to work on my dissertation and 8 years of grad school will all be naught. My life is impossibly overwhelming and there's no use even trying to sort it all out. Will this day never end?

Comments

Anonymous said…
The purple starfish and I are all rooting for you, mamacita. Love, R.
Anonymous said…
Where's your timer?

Where's your feather duster?

Where is FLYLADY?!
Undomestic said…
Sounds like you have the beginning of the year blues. I would have it every year, spending my time online because the boxes just seemed too much to sort through. One year I went to the beach (it was a cold windy day, but I dressed for it), sat by myself and figured out my first unit for the year. After that I felt much better and everything else fell into place. What grade are you teaching this year?
LH said…
Thanks, Rose.
KC, getting back to the flylady way. I keep getting distracted, but some progress was made. Am ignoring the dust for now. Bulletin board paper does wonders for my mood.
Hey Ms. Cari, I love your story of escaping to think. Worked a bit on a first unit today. The sixth grade schedule is so odd. I thought I was going to look forward to switching classes, but now I'm not so sure... Crossing my fingers.
Undomestic said…
You're teaching 6th grade? Oh I'm so jealous!!!!! What novels are you doing this year?

I had a teaching dream last night...you know the one where you have a few kids who just always do the opposite of what you say! I wish I was teaching again. But all in good time.
Anonymous said…
I would rather be "schlepping boxes" with you (ANY DAY-ANY TIME) than considering another family BBQ in 103 degree weather (that's the suggestion for when Brother Dan, girlfriend and (maybe) Sister Faith come for Labor Day). If it helps, we've been in school 3 weeks now and I'm STILL schlepping! ---- xxxxxoooooo
LH said…
Hi Cari, I'm excited about sixth. I'm starting with zlata's diary, red scarf girl, and year of the chrysanthemum. Haven't read any of them. Any favorites???
B, the room is set up. i might come down for labor day. pondering it. i'll keep you posted. 3 weeks in and still schlepping? what gives?
Undomestic said…
I haven't read any of those either. The year I had 6th grade, I started the year with Freak the Mighty. They loved it. We also did Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. And some of the more advanced kids read Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World. That was my first year teaching 6th grade, and they were so much nicer than 7th graders!
LH said…
I almost started with Freak the Mighty. I couldn't decide for a way long time. I would like to throw some nonfiction in there too since Newkirk seemed to think that was a good idea. Shipwreck's nonfiction, right? I'm heading in to school. bah.
Undomestic said…
Yes, Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World by Jennifer Armstrong is nonfiction...about the Shackleton adventure. Trial by Ice is about the same story....just a lot easier if you have some low level or Spec Ed. kids to accomodate.

Popular Posts