The Job


In 3 weeks, I will be a teacher once more. Not working really has agreed with me, so I’m a little anxious about re-entering the classroom. Here are some of my main concerns presented in the form of a bulleted list:

  • Right off, my colleagues will ask about my dissertation progress. Not a huge concern because I’ve already planned my cheery responses---“So close!” and “It won’t be long now!”
  • Despite the fake-it-til-you-make-it facade, I am nervous about making dissertation progress once school gets underway. Teaching is a way time consuming job. Check out this comparison of the work day of a pharmaceutical salesperson and that of a teacher in the new book that I will soon own called Teachers Have It Easy.
  • I love teaching, but I hate resisting stupid mandates and restrictions. I do resist quite successfully, but why must I? Just let me do my job, you evil standardizers. Sunday NYT has several articles in their Education Life about rigid restrictive curriculum making new teachers rethink their gig choice.
  • Another NYT article wonders if education schools present too much theory and not enough practical tips. They reach the startling conclusion that teachers need both. Doi. The author infers that new teachers are leaving in droves because they haven’t been taught how to teach, but they offer no evidence to support their claim. The one woman they interview who left teaching went her merry way toward jewelry consulting for an insurance company because teaching had too much paperwork, took up too much of her time and the pay was bad.

It’s good to write down my concerns. I can store these away for now and go back to my summer evening with a glass of wine, a little blog reading, and sitting on the deck watching the last few visitors to the birdfeeders before the sun goes down. Saw 2 goldfinches today. I'm wondering if 3 weeks is enough time to get the backyard birds to handfeed. Saw Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill this weekend.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your concerns are my concerns. Thanks for voicing them.
Anonymous said…
I'd like to borrow that book when you are done. One thing to note is that is a comparison between a pharmaceutical salesperson and a teacher. My dad was a pharmacist and his job was difficult and stressful. He's been retired for about 10 years and I think things have changed for the better in his profession. I remember watching him sometimes when he was working and thinking it was a high pressure job.
JW
LH said…
Hi Jdoc, I liked the fish/dam joke on your blog but my family didn't chuckle that much.
J, glad you're back, I'll edit the post, thanks for catching that. This is why I love blogging. You can fix it.
Undomestic said…
" teaching had too much paperwork, took up too much of her time and the pay was bad."

Don't most people know this BEFORE they enter the teaching field. And those who think it's just a cushy job, shouldn't be teaching anyhow. I hated when I was in college and I'd hear people say if they couldn't get a job in their field, they'd "fall back" on teaching.
Julie Anna said…
I could not be a teacher, and I have the utmost respect for those who can do it day in and day out, much less do it as well as you do, my friend. Anyone who says it is easy has not spent an afternoon in their kid's classroom. I would have to say that systems analyst, too, falls under the "very high stress" category, but we get paid more to be stress freaks. Well, somewhere we get paid more. Not so much here in the public sector.
LH said…
Hi Cari, A professor friend of mine once taught a gal who was in educ. school just in case her tanning salon business that her dad was setting up for her fell through. Love stories like that!
Julie, you're right that lots of jobs are way stressful. But that pharmaceutical sales rep seems not too stressed. That comparison chart amused me.

Popular Posts