The Younglies

The day begins with online literature circle meetings.

Some Thirdlanders tell me right away that they haven't finished the reading and I reassure them that it's fine.  One is proud to tell us that she wasn't sure she could finish, but she  "powered through."

Most have post its to share, but the conversation's not too meaty.  A Thirdlander holds her hamster to the camera. That gets me remembering all the hamsters I used to have.  Hamilton.  Hannah.  Helen. "Maybe I should buy a hamster today," I say.  I hear a mom laugh in the background.

The second book group wanders into a discussion of animal rights and animal testing and Spunky Girl runs off and returns with her shampoo bottle to show us the label, "No animal testing."  This is new to a few, who vow to look for the label from now on.

More sticky notes are shared. More pets come and go. There are some silences.  A Thirdlander types into the chat screen, "I love you guys."  We're all quiet for a beat. But our take charge girl says, "We love you too," and everyone chimes in, including me.

The meeting lasts for 90 minutes, with small groups coming in and out.  When I have to remove kids from the meeting to make room for newcomers, Thirdlanders yell out, "Don't kick me out, Dr. H!" and we all laugh and wave and yell goodbye. One of the last to leave says, "When coronavirus is over, it'd be great if we could all come over to your house."

"Yeah, that'd be fun," I tell her.

Over the course of the morning, every Thirdlander shows up to talk about books and pets and flying squirrels and love, and these new literature circles bring me new appreciation for the term bittersweet.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Very cool. Thank you for that.

MEM in CA
Mitzi Lewison said…
Love it!!!
one-womanadventures (Julie) said…
so sweet
jdoc said…
I want to join one of these meetings.
mm said…
I love this!!! So sweet.
KC said…
Please share pics of your new hamster. :)

Popular Posts