The Distance

3 days of distance learning in the bag.  It had its ups and it had its downs.

The ups:  I can sleep in a little later. I had many interactions with all my students every day, and celebrated their awesomeness. Thirdlanders are getting feedback right away as they submit assignments.  I don't have stuff to do in the evenings. I'm feeling some pride in the way I've organized the learning sequences.

The downs:  It's very time consuming to plan the distance learning modules.  And the hours between 9 and 3 are frenetic.  Picture a switchboard operator constantly moving at her station, hands blurring and whirring.  That's me.  Responding to emails, commenting on hundreds of pieces of kid work, connecting with the peeps, trying to figure out the next day's activities.  When I'm done, I feel like I'm about to keel over and I'm feeling self doubt about the way I've organized the learning sequences.

Today we got news that our district will now go to a 4 day week and wants teachers to only plan for 2 to 3 hours of work with Thirdlanders.  That's going to be easier, not going to lie.  I want the best for the Thirdlanders, so I'm putting my heart into it.

Comments

mm said…
I feel your district 's plan makes sense for the Thirdlanders. Is it that way for middle and high school too?
LH said…
The big kids have more hours. I can't remember how much.

Are you doing 5 days per week?
KC said…
This is better. Both of my kids will also be on a 4-day week, and they each have school from about 9-12:30 each day. People can't do much more than that.
LH said…
Yeah. It's been fairly stressful for everyone. Sometimes I think I should have done it all differently, but at least I tried.

Nancy said…
You are rocking it , my friend! I loved our social distance meet up yesterday!
N
jdoc said…
My kids have 5 days of work. It takes Sam 3 hours and Eloise is done in an hour. I suppose that's appropriate. No one really knows.
Mitzi Lewison said…
When I read the new hours in the paper I thought, yay!!

Popular Posts