The Shadow


We have a new classroom pet.  A black cat puppet.  We voted for her name, so she is now Shadow.  I walked around with Shadow during writing time because she loves to be part of writing workshop. She wants to see what the Thirdlanders are writing.  She taps their papers and pencils with her paws and utters approving meows in their ears.  

At the end of the day, Shadow came with us through the school during dismissal.  One Thirdlander, who had already spent a full day with Shadow perched atop my hand asked me, "Is Shadow a real cat?"
"No, she's just a puppet cat," I told him.  He gave Shadow a last pat and walked out the door to his bus.

Is Shadow a real cat?  It's an amazing question, but one that I like.  I wish I had told him, "She's a puppet cat, but she turns real at midnight and roams around our school." That's clearly what he wanted me to say.  That exchange would have made for a fun conversation with his parents tomorrow night at Open House.  Missed opportunity.  I'll do better next time.

Comments

mm said…
Oh, I wish you would have too.
Anonymous said…
She really is a real cat. I know.
N
kc said…
I'm going to have a puppet, too. All I do over here is copy your teaching. It's fine because imitation/flattery, etc., and also I'm several states away.

Popular Posts