The Power


Kids sign up to share relevant topics at morning meeting.  We've discussed the meaning of relevant --- "the quality or state of being closely connected or appropriate."  We're learning about all kinds of wellness with our IB unit, so I believe it's relevant for kids to share about their soccer games or their chess tournaments.  We're learning about book blurbs, so of course it's relevant for kids to recommend books. We've gone outside to write haiku, so signing up to talk about a bug you found in your yard is relevant.  You get the idea.

On Friday, a Thirdlander shared this, "My mom bought me a new Nintendo Switch yesterday."  I asked, "How is that relevant? Does it connect to anything we've discussed or dealt with?"  In retrospect, the Switch purchase probably made this kid extremely happy and met some of his wellness needs for love and belonging, since it was a special gift from a parent.  But, I don't like this kind of share at morning meeting, so I put the kibosh on it and termed it irrelevant.  He had already told everyone about it, including me, before morning meeting started anyway.  I told him to tell his friends about it in the cafeteria.  It feels a little mean, but if I don't make this choice, Morning Meeting quickly devolves into show and tell.  I'm trying to use my power for good.

Unrelated Sidenote:  A Thirdlander told me this week, "I want a ferret so badly, but my dad says I'm not responsible enough yet."  I'm thinking of getting her a ferret this weekend, habitat and all.  She is responsible as all get out and she deserves that ferret.  She's going to be surprised and probably super happy. Again, power for good.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think you are using your powers for good. And I think that is important.
jw
kc said…
We have started relevant topics, as well. We're still getting the hang of it. So far, there has been quite the wondering about whether one should sign up two days in a row to share a relevant topic.

Popular Posts