The Flaw



I went to school today to sort out some odds and ends.  Teachers work tomorrow and the new Thirdlanders arrive on Wednesday.  You know how I'm always kvetching about not having enough time blah blah blah?  Well, I found out a critical truth about myself today.  The truth is, I have enough time, but I choose not to use it wisely.

I really didn't have to go to school today.  I had not much left to do.  And I had no unwritten book hanging over my head stressing me out as in Augusts of yore. I could have zipped in and out and had time to read a book or walk about aimlessly.  Instead of making efficient life choices, however, I continuously noodled about, diving into unessential projects.  First I decided to look through every picture book I own, just for the fun of it.  That took well over an hour.  Then I decided to learn more about Claes Oldenburg. We're going to be starting with a wellness unit and I thought some of his food sculptures could be a good kick off. Then I looked at videos of assembly line machines because I thought studying machine movements may help me with the Make a Machine arts based strategy I'm planning for day one.

All this stuff was kind of fun, but where do I draw the line?  Let's face it. I'm a time waster.  I waste a lot of time.  I need to stop thinking about things.  If I could stop thinking about things, the world would be my oyster.  Who knows what I could accomplish if I were guided by an efficient, single-minded sense of purpose?

Comments

mm said…
I'm glad that you're "a time waster." I think it makes you more interesting.
I love that you're doing making a machine on day #1. Have a great year!!
LH said…
Thanks, MM. I need to accept it and perhaps even celebrate it.
Thanks, Mandie! I have 2 arts based strategies scheduled for Wednesday. Name Rhythms and Make a Machine.
Can take the gal out of Artful Learning, but you can't....

You both have great years!!!
KC said…
They start on WEDNESDAY?! Oh man. Tomorrow. Can't wait.

Popular Posts