The Resolve

A few months ago, Husbandman asked me if I wanted to see Lucinda Williams singing at a concert this very night last.  I did, but I feared that a concert would make me too tired for the first teacher day.  I overcame my fears and tickets were purchased.  Lucinda was amazing and when we left the concert hall at midnight, I felt an arrogant pride in my resolve to have fun and not worry about work.  Come to find out, at 6 am this morning, I was singing a different tune. I had regrets about seeing one of our nation's treasure's singing her heart out with her incredible voice and jaunty demeanor.  "I regret going to the show," I told Husbandman, as I stared into my coffee.

I headed to school for a day of meetings and planning and mixing and mingling with colleagues. As the day progressed, I still felt like a laggard, but I made it through and got a lot done.  Now it's 8:10 pm and I'm in bed.  Everything's going to be okay.  I'll sleep well, seize the day, and congratulate myself on clinging to that last bit of summer.  Just like Lucinda tells us:

See I got a candle and it burns so bright
In my window every night
Well it's over - I know it - but I can't let go

You don't like to see me standing around
Feel like I been shot and didn't fall down
Well it's over - I know it - but I can't let go

Comments

Anonymous said…
Remember you told me that you were going to try something different/new. This was it. The summer of Lee!
N
KC said…
I think in the long run, it'll go down as one the best choices you ever made.

Popular Posts