Recap #7: The Etiquette

Surprisingly, I find myself at a funeral home on a Friday night.  Friend was planning on going and somehow I decide to join her.  I know the peeps involved with this event, but not very well.  Mostly I know a lot of people that know them.

We enter and see the chief mourner (CM) talking with a fellow Visitor.  We slowly circle the room to check out the flowers.  Super nice.  Then we stand next to the open casket for awhile.  Then we stand off to the side, waiting to talk to the CM, but CM is still in a long chat with Fellow Visitor.

After standing around awhile, Friend says, "Let's move in a little closer."  CM doesn't appear to notice us and after some awkward standing Friend says, "Let's move a little closer."  We step closer again.  I actually feel we might be a little too close at this point, but I follow Friend's lead.

After a bit, Friend says in an exasperated whisper, "We may have to leave.  There's an etiquette to this and it's not being followed here. You're not supposed to hog up the CM's time and attention.  You move on after a small while so others can speak with CM. Oh forget it.  I'm just going to interrupt them."

So Friend walks up and taps CM.  We all exchange hugs and a few supportive words and then we head out.  CM resumes her chat with Visitor.

In the car, I congratulate Friend for getting the job done.  "You're going to blog this aren't you?" she asks.

And yes, as you can see, I am.

Comments

former officemate said…
You're such a great friend! Glad she has you!
mm said…
Those lil shoes are adorable. I'm glad your friend knows you well enough to know it's going to become your blog post.
KC said…
Shoes are beyond cute. The etiquette was perfect, too.

Popular Posts