Recap #6: The Ice

Not too much has been happening this week, so it's hard to recap anything.  But we had an ice storm of sorts last night, so here goes.

All day Thursday I check the weather, hoping for a 2 hour delay.  I'm to travel to Indy on Friday to see a high poverty school that has high test scores.  I don't want to go because I'm having trouble getting stuff done.  I want to see the school.  Just not this week.

I ask everyone I see what they know about the weather.  They know the same stuff I know, so I change tactics and ask everyone, "What's your feeling about what will happen tomorrow?"  Many are unsure.  I attend yoga in the afternoon and when asked to focus on my heartfelt desire, I think about a 2 hour delay.  Namaste.

I venture down to attend our community forum, where we talk up our cool school to anyone who has an interest.  At 5:57, no one is there.  I ask kinder teacher who is v. good at praying to say a prayer that no one will show up so we can head home. She does this, but she says really the prayer should have been prayed earlier because anyone who's coming is already en route and probably the prayer won't make them turn around.  She's correct.  At 6:01, a family shows up to learn about our school.  They seem nice and we would like them to attend so we go into our spiel.  Kinder teacher shares info about her unit.  She refers to a book about sushi that the kinders read.  Potential new kid talks about how he likes sushi and they sometimes make it at home.  Surreptitiously, I text Husbandman that I would like to go out for sushi this very evening.  The talk goes well.  The family seems interested.  I sneak out as others tour the building with the fam.

It's snowing, but is it enough, I wonder.  The drive home is slow.  People taking their time.  A little bit of slip sliding, but nothing horrid.  Husbandman and I risk our lives and head out for some sushi.  It's everything I hope for.  We sit at the window table and watch the snow.  Will it stick?  Will it turn icy later?  At home, we see via our TV that some schools have already called the 2 hour delay.  I'm exhausted and taciturn.  Finally the robocall comes through.  We will have a 2 hour delay.  Soon after, the text arrives, telling me that the trip to Indy has to be rescheduled.  Life is good.  I feel at ease and secure in my knowledge of what is to come. Sleep arrives at last.

Comments

cb said…
Excellent recap and short story too.
mm said…
The power of prayer???
mm said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Gardner said…
I love that you thought of a 2 hour delay as your heart's desire during yoga. Also glad your trip was resheduled like you wanted. Although was it just me, or did this day seem REALLY long for a delay day?

Popular Posts