Recap #5: Your Dog's Teeth

Come to find out, you're supposed to be brushing your dog's teeth.  I spent the weekend with sisterwoman and she showed me a ton of great fotos of dog dental work, so I asked her to give me a thorough recap on this new area of learning for me.  SisterWoman is a vet tech. This is what she told me:

Big dogs enjoy a nice tooth brushing.  Small dogs?  Not so much but try to do it anyway. Brush your dog's teeth using dog toothpaste.  Human toothpaste can and will kill your dog.  Your vet can also clean your dog's teeth, but it's going to cost hundreds of dollars for the dog dental.  First the vet will give your dog some meds to loosen her up a bit.  Then they'll anesthetize your dog and give your dog an IV of fluids.  The vet will use an ultrasound toothcleaning tool to clean your dog's teeth.  If your dog has some rotting teeth, the vet will remove those.  Or your dog can have a root canal. My sister takes before and after pictures of the dental work, so your vet may do this as well.  Ask for the photos and send them to me if possible.  Like all of you, I'm now obsessed with dog dental work.

Comments

mm said…
I don't have a dog although I wish I had a lab. It would be a big dog, and I would probably have to brush its teeth. My cat visited the vet last week. It seems the cat has great teeth for a twelve year old (and a crappy attitude about visiting the vet).
KC said…
fabulous recap. i'm so super pleased with this recap challenge, it turns out. it's kind of like regular blogging but also a lit different. of course, you're awesome at it.
Anonymous said…
I'm reminded of why I'm not a vet tech.
jw
jdoc said…
Excellent picture. Is that some sort of rubber band around the dog's snout?
Parent of the Year said…
Thank goodness I don't have pets...although I do have kids and I am taking Gus back to the dentist today. He had 2 cavities and it's taking them 4 appointments to fix things. I'm still not sure why it takes 4 visits...I should probably look into this

Popular Posts