The Bend


Yesterday I suggested to Husbandman that we go for a drive in the countryside.  He rejected my suggestion with a surprising request for a destination.  Most people recognize that a drive in the countryside is not about destination, but, acting with kindness, I found a place in our Indiana book that we hadn't seen before:  Hindostan Falls.

A bit of history on Hindostan:  It was the largest town in Indiana in 1820 with over 1200 settlers.  But something happened, no one knows for sure if it was small pox or yellow fever, but the sad truth of the matter is  the whole town was wiped out.  Nothing of Hindostan remains, except for the 6 foot falls on the White River.  (Interestingly, many settlers lived on flat boats on the river). 

 So Husbandman went to read about Hindostan and then came back and said, "There's just a plaque there, Not really anything else."

     "Let's go read that plaque!" I exclaimed with enthusiasm because I love historical plaques and markers.   So 20 Something Daughter, Husbandman and I headed south in search of Hindostan.  We found the plaque and the falls.  Then we read in our book that Jug Rock was nearby so we headed over to check that out as well.  THEN we read about the bluffs of Beaver Bend and we finally found those. (Stay tuned for 20 something's documentary film that she made).

Driving in the countryside.  It doesn't get much better than that.

Comments

mm said…
I, too, took a drive on the countryside yesterday... what a glorious day.
Anonymous said…
Truly it doesn't. When we go to Colorado this summer it's going to be about 10 days of driving in the countryside. I'm a little nervous about the length of time. But lots to see. And a train or two to ride. I do love trains.
jw
LH said…
Jug Rock is a great destination for a weekend drive.

It will meet all your expectations.

Colorado I'm thinking probably will as well. You'll need to travelblog that trip.
KC said…
Sounds divine. CO will be marvelous, jw. I love CO.

Popular Posts