The Ishiguro


I just finished When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro.  It's odd, but a little fascinating.  If you want to read it, you should.  

After I finished that book, I skimmed through Shakespeare Wrote for Money, a collection of Nick Hornby's columns about reading for The Believer.  Each column begins with 2 lists:  Books I Bought and Books I Read.  Hornby didn't buy or read any Ishiguro that I know of, but he read quite a lot of other books and he's so funny and kind about all of them.  

I'm not sure what I'll read next.  Middlesex or America's Hidden History.  Or Toni Morrison's new one.  

Here's a sad thing:  I can't find the usb cord for my camera so the cool pix of pandas I took at the Atlanta Zoo will have to wait for awhile. I get annoyed when I can't use my camera.  Remember when my battery charger was lost in Chicago?  Remember my distress?  

Poor #1 son has had a fever and some leg aches for 2 days.  I always get worried with fevers when they persist.  I had to stop googling viral meningitis tonight because it was pretty clear even to me that his symptoms weren't matching, no matter how many sites I clicked. His sickness has made this day kind of a lazy one:  tv, itouch, tv, etc.  But, as I've stated above, I finished a book (the Ishiguro) so I feel something was accomplished.  Still, it's always discomfiting when your kid is sick and there's nothing you can do about it. I read a few chapters of The Hobbit to him in the afternoon when the fever was up to 103 and he was looking especially out of it and muttering something I couldn't understand about bedspreads.  The Hobbit is a good book too. And easier to read than I expected it to be.  

Comments

LH said…
good news. i found my usb cord.
Julie Anna said…
yeah! I got a new digicam for Christmas after being camera-less for a few months. I am not happy when I'm camera-less. Of course even that is not as bad as realizing and an idiot tech dude at work deleted several YEARS of pictures that were on my hard drive. Yes, it's true. I have some of them printed and some of them on diskette, but some of them are gone forever. Hope quinn is ok. It is hard when they are sick. What a week we had with #1 son and his tonsillectomy...Christmas morning was spent in the emergency room due to uncontrolled bleeding of the throat. Along with high fevers, this is something one does not wish to see in one's child.
LH said…
How's your #1??? The Christmas Day visit sounds very horrible! Our #1 is still sick. The dr changed his antibiotic today. We're crossing our fingers.
Anonymous said…
I like Ishiguro's writing.
When does school start? Will you have a few hours to come dig me out of my back room any time soon?
How is #1?
I got a Kindle!!!!
D/

Popular Posts