The Emotions

On the way down to Georgia, we stopped at a hotel for the night. We got some sad news via telephone between our trips to the pool and the happy hour. My mom was in the emergency room because she had a stroke that day. Her stroke is called a TIA stroke and it doesn't leave your body damaged, but it is a scary episode involving slurred speech, massive headache and raging blood pressure. It was surprising to walk into the house the next day to see my mom in the kitchen making a green bean casserole. I had mixed emotions because I was so relieved that there would be green bean casserole, but felt that maybe my mom should be resting comfortably somewhere. My mom just laughed at this idea and began pulling out ingredients for the pecan pie. Again, I felt conflicted. So happy about the pecan pie. But also worried that something bad might happen to my mom right there in the kitchen. Everything turned out great. Dinner was fantastic and we had a splendid visit with my mom and dad and sibs. I don't know why I didn't inherit my mom's toughness. Last week I was on the couch for hours depressed because of a sore pinky toe. It still hurts a little and I haven't been walking because of this malady. I'm going to stop spending valuable time googling "sore pinky toe" and get out for a little walk today. I'm pretty sure my mom would do the same.

Comments

LH said…
10:53. took a walk. And I also called the dentist about a tooth that's been hurting me for an eon.

woohoo, i love vacation.
way to get things done!
Julie Anna said…
Love this picture of Ros. Sounds like you had a good trip, but yes, the mom incident would have me spooked. I don't deal well with anything being wrong with my mom. However, Lee's mom also had a TIA over a year ago, and she's still going like gangbusters at 82.
LH said…
this is good to hear. thx for the info.
we did have a very nice trip.
KC said…
this is troubling about the TIA. i am glad to hear from julie that it can be just a small deal. i also don't deal well with things being wrong with my mom. i've been calling her five times per day this week because her asthma is acting up.

lovely photo of ros.
Anonymous said…
Glad your mom is ok. The "T" in TIA stands for Transient. Most people recover almost immediately.

Little toe? Gout!

Great photo of Ros.

D/
lee said…
Omg I have been learning about gout
For an hour now .
I think you're right!!!!
Anonymous said…
gout? What the heck?
jw
LH said…
I know. It's weird to think about gout.

Popular Posts