The Clarifying


This wintry cold is keeping me hibernating.  We tried to go see Slumdog, but it was sold out so we came home and I returned to my earlier occupation of doing nothing.  I did take a nap so that was my main accomplishment.  I think of a nap this way because In The Open Road, Pico Iyer describes the Dalai Lama's view on sleeping like this:
 
"His energy is discernibly lower as the day nears its end, and the Dalai Lama often talks about sleep as one of the most important activities of the day, even calling on old texts to suggest how sleep can in fact be positively used, as almost anything can, for the clarification of the mind."

I do feel my mind is clearer and I am now ready to watch part 3 of John Adams and have a glass of wine.  Cheers, pals.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I just woke up from a nap and read this post. I'm quite pleased that the Dalai Lama follows my teachings.
LH said…
He's very smart that way.

Have you seen the John Adams miniseries??
KC said…
i fear i will never reach clarity.
Anonymous said…
Another usefulness of naps: "...perchance to dream."

D/
Anonymous said…
I will continue to reach clarity.
jw
LH said…
I wish I were still clarifying right now.
Julie Anna said…
I would love to see the John Adams mini-series. Which channel? Please don't tell me one of those primo channels that do not pass my cost/benefit test for teev watching. I am a big fan of sleep, and in fact am making 2009 the Year I Stop Suffering From Constant Insomnia. I'm giving melatonin another try. However, I confused my supplement bottles and took two melatonin THIS MORNING instead of two Vitamin Whatevers. Subsequently had to take a very long nap which is not in the best interest of my Better Sleeping At Night plan.
LH said…
that's hilar.
I've never tried melatonin? It actually makes you sleepy?

Popular Posts