The Fire



Tonight Pal Mitzker was going to pick us up at a certain time and we were going to head over to the park to listen to blues music. But then M called and said there was a fire in her cul-de-sac and her car was blocked in and she couldn't make it. "Bummer!" I exclaimed. And she answered, "Yeah, I was really wanting to go out tonight." And then I added, "Well, geez, talk to you later. We'll be at the park if you can ever get out." And when I got off the phone, Husbandman said, "We could go pick her up. It would just take a minute." I burst out laughing because this act of consideration hadn't even occurred to me. Most of the time I think I'm pretty nice, but then I bump up against this type of event and I have to face the fact that I am not, at my very core, a good person. I'm okay with that, but it does surprise me a little bit. Because of my underlying assumptions.

Comments

LH said…
Don't all jump in at once contradicting my conclusion here, peeps!
Anonymous said…
Such an ominous silence! However, I think everyone was waiting, as was I, for someone else to get the ball rolling.
So, here goes: Don't be ridiculous. One little lapse in your usual routine of caring and kindness does not make you a bad person. Just human. You are one of the kindest, goodest, nicest people I know.
I'll even give up my anonymity to say so.
Dorothy
LH said…
Phew, I'm glad I got the ball rolling. Now I can live my life to the fullest once again. Thanks, Dorothy!
KC said…
whatever, of course you're not a bad person. that's the lamest thing i've ever heard.

this is totally something i would do, btw. and then i would rely on my amazing husband to come up with the obvious answer. so, i totally get this vibe.
LH said…
i've been doing a lot of this type of action lately. and husbandman is always here to help. well, usually.
happy pinnacle day, dears.
Anonymous said…
This has nothing to do with being nice or not. Things didn't unravel as planned. It's like the time your keyless entry fob didn't work on your car one day after we had lunch. You looked at me in panic because it didn't occur to you to actually just use the key to unlock the door.It's just like that.
jw

Popular Posts