The Interest


A rough – legged hawk perched high in a tree across the street this morning. I spent a not inconsiderable amount of time watching it through binoculars. When it flew off, I searched through my bird books for awhile in order to make the proper identification and I'm convinced I have done so. Later, after grading for 5 hours at the compound, I decided to search for fotos of the rough legged hawk on the internets. I guess you could say that birds are of great interest to me. Perhaps you too have seen a hawk in the recent past.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I participated in a a Masters (I love that title - as if we have "mastered skiing", when, in fact, we are merely over 30 years of age) clinic at Auburn Ski Club today. As I waited for my turn to ski (in my best classic style) up a slight incline, I too, spied raptors. I assumed these particular birds of prey had something smaller than my fat ass in mind as they circle over the new fallen snow at Donner Pass summit. I do not know for sure.
-Bob
Anonymous said…
We see red tailed hawks every day here just south of Atlanta.

Bob if someone ever asks you to wear a bunny suit in a bright white while skiing near the raptors, don't do it.
KC said…
I'm not a bird fan, myself, but shef loves them.

he's been to the bird show at the zoo twice now, and he wakes up talking about it. i'll have to show him this photo and see if he can correctly id the bird.
Undomestic said…
We saw a "really big bird" in our backyard this summer that we decided was a hawk based on the pictures we skimmed through in the book Birds of Minnesota: Field Guide by Stan Tekiela. Previously Cameron had taken an interest in birds, and I know NOTHING about them. Every bird we saw he would want to know what it was. I finally went to the Red Balloon in St. Paul and they told me about the book mentioned above. It's not a kid's book, but is PERFECT for identifying birds around here. KC, you might want to check it out for Shef.
LH said…
the owl at that bird show is v. cool. it flies through the room without making a sound.

i love birds of all sorts. some pleasant juncos were on the deck this weekend.

Popular Posts