The Flix

Here are the movies I saw on vacation.
Pride and Prejudice: A. Already blogged about it.
King Kong: A - . A few scenes dragged, but most are beautiful. The ending killed me even though I knew it was coming.
Memoirs of a Geisha: A. Good job on this one. Music's quite lovely. Hat tip to you, Yo Yo Ma.
Fun With Dick and Jane: B. Tea Leoni is good and they slam the Enron crew in the credits. Well done.
Family Stone: B. Better than I expected. I'm partial to Luke Wilson anyway.
Syriana: A. Kudos to you, George Clooney.
Rumor Has It: C +. There were a few moments of mirth, but I know they could have done better.
Constant Gardener: A. Beautiful and sad. A good twin to Syriana.
Munich: A. Eric Bana, a favorite of mine from the Hulk, did well here. I felt more acutely the pointlessness of what's going on in Iraq right now, and I was surprised that was possible.
Shop Girl: A -. That Jason Schwartzman. You can't beat that guy. Plus I liked Claire Dane's ears. Good job writing a novella and acting in it too, Steve Martin. Keep up the good work.

I'm a pretty easy grader, but overall I was pleased with the cinematic offerings this holiday season. Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
Holy cow Ms H.!!! You saw all those movies on holiday break???? I haven't been inside a movie theater in a long, long time. I saw Ocean's 12 last Christmas, but that was an office field trip -- or "Staff Development Day" as my boss prefers to call them. Before that.... Neither Bob nor I can remember. I had thought our lack of movie attendance was perhaps a sign of advanced age, but that's clearly wrong for reasons that won't be written out loud here. A sign of my increasingly anti-social behavior? Now that's an explanation I can buy into.

We did recently watch some of Spike TV's Bond marathon. Bob cried during On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Again. Ahhhh, Diana Rigg.

Mary
LH said…
Hey dearie, you take so many cool field trips. We see movies. We actually hadn't seen too many last fall, so I was determined to see one a day during break and I almost did it. there were more days than movies to see. we got a lovely box of gifties from you today ma chere. Merci beaucoup.
(i've been on the anti social side lately too. so that can't be the reason. and as you say, it's not age.) love 2 u mm
KC said…
i'm jealous.

we saw potter IV, which i enjoyed. also we rented 40-year-old-virgin, which i watched four or five times. what does it say about me that it NEVER gets old??
Undomestic said…
Wow lh, you're very kind when it comes to movies.

With family around these past weeks to watch the kiddos, I actually was able to see a few non-kiddo movies.

Family Stone...I'd give it more of a B-. Although I liked the actors and enjoyed the storyline, I thought it had a lot of holes. I thought there needed to be something to make me be sympathetic toward Sarah Jessica Parker's character. I loved the relationship the family had together, however.

Dick and Jane I thought was horrible. Part way through it I turned to Melvin and said, "Are you as bored as I am?" He was. It just wasn't very funny and quite anti-climatic. The Enron part was amusing.

I guess since it's a rare occasion when I actually get to see a movie, I expect GREATNESS
(with capital letters). We just finished up our home theatre system in our basement, so I'm enjoying some movies at home (when I can stay awake).

40 Year old virgin was very, very, very funny!!!!!
LH said…
kacer, we loved hp4. It's fun watching those kid actors grow up. i hope they can hang in there for 5 thru 7, but i don't see how they can. We rented 40 year old this weekend to watch again. now we think it's such an excellent movie.

c, i had a mission, a movie a day for 2 weeks, so i had to see a few movies that would not normally be on my list, so i went in to those 2 with very low expectations. on the ground low. bottom of the barrel low. the lowness really helped. your criticisms i agree with.
brokeback mountain and squid and whale finally got here this weekend so i hope i get to at least one of those asap.

Popular Posts