The Strike

We've been reading about Langston Hughes with the sixers. They're very interested in his dallying with communism. I gave them some rudimentary background. About as rudimentary as it gets. One kid said, "I think people who make more money just work harder than other people so they deserve what they have. Poorer people don't work as hard." So today I read a picture book called Si Se Puede to the sixers. They sketched and jotted notes as I read and shared stories that came to mind. The book's based on the janitor's strike in L.A. I haven't been reading too many disruptive books to these sixers because of time concerns. I realized last week that my whole gig is off kilter because of this weird departmentalization set up. I find it very confusing and a wee bit confining. I have more admiration for middle and high school teachers now. I should just go sit in someone's classroom for a week and figure out how to do this. That aside, the book was well received and I'm looking forward to more chatting tomorrow about it. If you know a kid or adult who doesn't know that hard work doesn't correlate with salary, you may want to get this book for them. Mike Rose has a book I want too, called The Mind At Work. Posted by Picasa

Comments

jm said…
Wow. Do you think that student is professing his own thoughts or his parents' thoughts? From everything I've read here and what KC and jdoc tell me - you're the teacher I wish I'd had.
LH said…
thanks jm, i am not quite on my game this year. switching grade levels is insane, but next year should be better (i pray and hope).
i was actually surprised that the kid said the thing about hard work and poverty. I'm not sure where it came from. we'll be interrogating that concept thoroughly. i was supposed to wake up early to edit stories, but i slept in. someone needs to loan me an extra hour or two. i'll pay it back.
Anonymous said…
When I think of hard workers these days I think of the farm workers. I was at an event where an activist who was being honored talked about how he was involved in a suit with the farm owners to stop supplying workers with scythes with a very short handle (say a foot), as workers had to bend over all day to cut and were ruining their backs for life. They won. I do think kids start out in the world with the idea that "Hey there must be logic in the system, it has to be fair." Its actually a great impulse. Just not true.
LH said…
Hi Kate, There's a great picture book called Harvesting Hope that gives a great background of the farm laborer's union. I will have to pull it out. the story of the short handled hoe is mentioned in that book. i think you're right that kids assume that the world is how it is for a reason.
i'm off to a book party, where we will play that book stealing game. wish me luck.
Undomestic said…
You're an awesome teacher.
LH said…
Thanks so much Cari.
I am not quite on my game this year, whatever my game is, but I'm plugging along. I wish I had known I was heading to the sixers when i was in minn. last year, with all you marvelous middle school teachers around. I would have been much more pestery.

Popular Posts