The Sketch


We're pretending it's New Year's Eve tonight. Heading out to dinner with chums, then back here for games. Uno Attack, Pictionary, Buzzword. We've got it covered. We could call it penultimate night or something like that. We spent the afternoon buying books and magazines. Katha Pollitt has a list of good news from 2005. The piece perked me up considerably. And I bought Prep too. And I bought a book called "Opening Sentences of Famous Novels." I'll leave you with one.
'Sons of bitches,' Lituma felt the vomit rising in his throat.
Mario Vargas Llosa

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love that first line. Much better than this one from a seventh grader's essay: "No! No! No! He cannot go to jail!" It does grab the attention, I guess.
LH said…
hey jdoc. i like that line, but maybe it would be better with just one "no." Or no "no"s at all.
I'm thinking of using the first line book for my grammar stumpers. fun! i'll let you know how it turns out.
Anonymous said…
Oh what a fun game - reading first lines. It made me look some up on the Internet. I like this one and may just go out and buy it now.

"Take my camel, dear", said Aunt Dot as she climbed down from the animal on her return from High Mass."

Rose Macaulay
The Towers of Trebizond
LH said…
hi kate...

the camel opener is indeed intriguing.

the first line of the book i just finished is/was:

The typhoon arrived that night.

bergen's time in between. v. good.
KC said…
i like that uno attack game. v. fun.

have you started prep? i want to know what you think.

happy new year! any resolutions??
Undomestic said…
I have Prep on my shelf. Is it worth reading???
LH said…
hey kace, the new game "buzzword" was fun too. check it out. as for resolutions, i'm thinking i should read more fiction. i think that could cure all my ills.
cari, just started prep last night, but it's a good start. New York Times Book Review chose it as one of its five best books of 2005. That surprised me. I'll let you know. Happy New Year, Friendies
Anonymous said…
I loved playing Buzzword and I was excellent at it. Just ask my teammates. JW
LH said…
ah yes, jw, we'll be regaling listeners with the story of your buzzword greatness for years to come, i suspect.

Popular Posts