Editing Thoughts

Still thinking about editors and their work with writers...

Bought Berg's book, Editor of Genius, about Max Perkins yesterday at a used book store. I want to read more about his work with Thomas Wolfe.

NPR had a piece about Dashiell Hammett this week. His biographer talked about the influence of Lillian Hellman on The Thin Man. The book has a different tone than earlier books perhaps due to Hellman's editing. Hammett also influenced Hellman's work, The Little Foxes, and allegedly wrote some of the play's speeches.

Next I'll purchase Treglown's biography of Roald Dahl that includes details of his "near collaboration" with his editors. I read a review of it awhile ago, but haven't tracked it down yet.

If you have worked with an editor or as an editor, please comment on those experiences, here on my blog.

My friend Bob warned me against making the blog a laundry list or a whine. That might be hard to do. I'll count on him to edit for me.

Comments

Popular Posts