The Louvre


 Once I get moving in the morning, which sometimes takes awhile, not going to lie, I head out for 10,000+ steps.  Today I decided to start with a metro ride.  I took the 1 to the Louvre to get the 10,000 as I roamed the halls of this centuries old massive musee.  Except for some phone addicted dawdlers who impeded my progress on occasion, I had a pleasant brisk bustling through the Louvre.  When I got close to my step goal, I remembered that I should visit Napoleon's apartment.  Napoleon used to live in the Louvre before it was a museum.  

I was in the Sully section and the apartment is over in the Richelieu.  While my random wanderings brought me glee, searching out a specific room in the Louvre was tough stuff.  Finally I threw in the serviette and approached a gentleman who worked at the Louvre. When I pointed to my map, he looked at me and said, "Sorry.  Closed.  Tomorrow."  

Closed tomorrow?  I'm here now, I wanted to say, but I knew I was missing something.  He apologized for his poor english, which always embarrasses me, (I'm in YOUR country!  Why the heck are you apologizing?) and then he showed me the Louvre web page on his phone, which clearly states that Napoleon's Apartment is not open on Thursdays.  

"Shoot," I whisper-wailed.

The man responded, "Oui.  Shoot."

What a sweet and empathetic gentleman. I hope to go back some time to see N's apartment. Maybe I'll even conduct a compare and contrast exercise by having a brief lie down on N's bed. Je ne sais pas. 


Comments

cb said…
The Louvre is an excellent place to complete your steps. C'est geniale.
Janet said…
Clearly you must return on a day when the apartment is open. I had no idea that N has an apartment there - where have I been?! It's a bit random that it's closed on Thursdays, but now you know. I have to tell you that I wish I could be in Paris for several months and just decide to get the steps in the damn Louvre. You inspire me in many ways! But have you checked out the kitchen dept in Galaries Lafayette yet?
LH said…
G. L. is on my to do list this week, Janet!
Have been in some other cool department stores, but not that one.
Mitzi Lewison said…
A couple of cool things: "Oui. Shoot." Love that guy! Also, the kitchen department at GL--wonderful!!

Popular Posts