The Citizen




 We visited the Conciergerie today.  It was my first visit to this prison where so many were tortured and killed during the terror of the French Revolution. In a memorial room, I found the name of Francois Josselin.  My grandmother was a Josselin and my father has some documents that trace my grandmother's line back to France a long time ago so I'm pretty sure Francois was a relation.  He was a mutton merchant and yes he was guillotined. 

Olympe de Gouges also lived in the prison before her execution.  This is the first time I've heard her name, but now I know that Olympe de Gouges wrote the Declaration for the Rights of Woman and of the Female Citizen. She said, 

A woman has the right to mount the scaffold. She must possess equally the right to mount the speaker's platform.

Let's face it.  That seems fair. I hope to learn more about Olympe de Gouges and Francois Josselin in the future. 

Comments

Mitzi Lewison said…
I can't believe how every day you are finding new "really fascinating" bits of info in these musées. What a city!!

Popular Posts