The Critiques

 


Well friends, responses to my story from online classmates were mixed.  Four people responded to Buddy Bench and all four said that the narrator did not sound kid-like.  I actually suspected that the narrator was coming off as a bit too mature as I was writing, so this response didn't surprise me.

 I signed up for this class so I could learn more about writing fiction, so I'm fine with my classmates' remarks, which did include some positive comments. I've decided that I'm not interested in their specific revision ideas about turning the character into an adult, but I AM going to work on writing kid characters that sound like kids in future flash fictions. 

In short, I have a goal. I hope I can succeed at this goal some day.  Especially before the next assignment is due. 

Comments

Mitzi Lewison said…
Sounds like a good class.
Janet said…
OK. But have your classmates been working with kids for, what, 40 years? I am sure you can change the voice to sound more kid-like, but I also think that a lot of times people do not fully get how kids really are. And 5th grade kids are kinda like little grown ups, but kids.... complex... thoughtful... but still kids. I think maybe the top of the story is not in full-swing kid voice, but it really gets there. Keep up the good work my friend! Can't wait for the next one!
KC said…
I'm feeling defensive on your behalf, tbh.

Popular Posts