The Medieval City





 As you know, we went to Perouges yesterday, which has been called one of the most beautiful villages in France.  It is indeed quite charming and several old time movies have been filmed there.  The walled city is from medieval times.  The city did a great job repelling some enemy at one point hundreds of years ago, and so everyone there got a break from paying taxes for twenty years.  Twenty years doesn't seem very long when you're in Perouges, so I wish the citizens had gotten a better deal. 

  The village is pedestrian only, small and compact.  We walked the streets, read all the plaques, looked out at the views beyond the city walls and visited a church built in the 1200s.  Then we started to get a little nervous.  We had about 4 more hours in Perouges and we were pretty much done.  The museum would open at 2 pm so we looked for lunch.  We were turned down by one place who told us to return in an hour.   Then my phone recommended a lovely place that was opening on the square. By the way, the square has a tree that was planted during the French Revolution right in the middle for all to admire.  

The restaurant was delightful.  The owner assured me that they would make something vegetarian.  

Not sure you're interested in our food items, but I've decided to describe them here in a bulleted list. 

  • For our first course, I had the most wonderful omelette with mushrooms.  Delicious.  Husbandman had a salad with grilled char.
  • For our second course, I had a beautiful vegetable plate.  V. simple and attractive as well as tasty.  Husbandman had a large slice of beef with morel sauce.  He requested it very rare and it truly was.
  • For dessert, I had a lovely plate of cheeses with bread and Husbandman had a cake and ice cream that were made from pears. 
  • The signature dessert in Perouges is the galette perouges.  Our desserts came with this signature dessert with cream.  A kind of sugary buttery slice of dough that was quite sugary and buttery.  Not sure I'll get one of those again.

We drank wine during our meal and coffee afterwards.  When we were done... Voila!  Time to head back to the train station to travel back to Lyon.  I highly recommend an hour walking around Perouges and three hours having lunch there.  We loved our day. I wish we hadn't missed the museum, but you win some and you lose some in this life.  Maybe we'll head back some day?

Comments

Nancy said…
It sounded like a win to me!
N
Mitzi Lewison said…
A 3 hour lunch is always a good thing--no matter what you don't see because of it.
marion said…
These pictures are amazing, and I love the description of your leisurely meal! Those French people know how to dine!
KC said…
What a good day. I felt satisfied just reading about it.
Julie said…
Yes, I want food descriptions! Sigh. I need a month of morning walks and wine with lunch!

Popular Posts