The Drinks



We headed out to dinner last night at 7, which at home would be late for us.  Restaurants were open, but empty.  It feels weird being the Americans eating in the empty rooms, so we walked across the Saone and had beverages outside of Johnny's Kitchen. Then we headed back to our restaurant and there were just a few tables taken, but they said we couldn't get a table because we had no reservations and soon it would get very busy. The guy was nice.  He gave us a card and said, "Call in the afternoon and we'll get you in."  So we just hightailed it down the road and went to another restaurant.  We had to sit outside and it was chilly, but not too chilly.  There was also a dog named Jessie hanging out with us, so that was a bonus. She was friendly and well behaved. 

Okay, what have we learned from this situation?

1.  Make reservations for 8 or 830.

2.  Go out for drinks at 7.

3.  Understand that you can stay up later here and it will all be fine.

This morning we had success at the market.  Fruits, veggies, cheese, pate were all purchased and some french was used to make these purchases.  I even used the useful term, "apres vous" to a guy and his cute daughter when I was fumbling with my mask on the way in to the boulangerie.  I used french to request a baguette.  Then the boulangerie woman set down her last 3 baguettes on the counter and I believe she was asking me which one I would want.  They all looked great, so I just shrugged.  She laughed and handed over a baguette with a string of french that maybe meant that she was choosing a baguette for this madame. 

People are helpful here, and we're fond of this Lyon life.  But don't forget that we miss everyone a lot. 

 

Comments

Mitzi Lewison said…
The Lyon life seems pretty grand. Love how you are building a repertoire of how to live a good life there.
Sandy said…
Are the streets one way there in the top picture? I can't imagine two cars fitting on that skinny road. It's just so awesome seeing the pictures and hearing about your adventures while there! Keep it up!
Sandy (again) said…
Kudos on speaking french! I don't think it is an easy language to learn. Sounds beautiful.
LH said…
Hey Mitzker. I like your use of the term repertoire. Yes, that's what we are building.

Hey San, Most are one way! I agree that French is not easy, but super beautiful.
KC said…
Cheese and bread. Those two together are pretty much my favorite things.

Popular Posts