The Interesting Connection



There's an artist here in Lyon who finds cracks in the street and makes beautiful tile designs within said cracks.  His name is Emenem.  I've personally seen a few of his pieces, hither thither and yon. 

I started seeing his art soon after reading about kintsugi in that Ichigo Ichie book I've told you about.  Kintsugi is a Japanese art of repairing cracked pottery using lacquer mixed with gold dust or silver dust.  You can look it up if you want to.

The point of kintsugi, as far as I can tell, is that we can choose to flaunt our flaws, dress them up and call everyone over to celebrate the heck out of them.  I can't find any evidence that Emenem thinks of his art as a relative of kintsugi.  When I get to see Emenem, I'm going to point out to him that his art reminds me of kintsugi pottery repair. 

Comments

cb said…
That's a good and interesting connection. Making art out of cracks in the street is brilliant. As I grow older, I wouldn't mind a little kintsugi on my cracks and fissures.
KC said…
Kintsugi plays a really big role in a book I read recently called Giant Pumpkin Suite. The book was very good. It's middle grade. The main character is 12.
Janet said…
I love all the street art you are describing!
Sandy said…
I love how the artist makes something ugly and broken into something beautiful and artsy!
LH said…
We saw many more eminem works yesterday.
Love this stuff!
Mitzi Lewison said…
I really love this Eminem--what an unexpected place to make art. I hope you meet Eminem--I'm thinking this person will be super interesting--maybe a bit crazy.

Popular Posts