The Dutch

Another Sue Swartz that I love

Last night Husbandman made a tasty carrot soup with chermoula.  I chopped some of the parsley and cilantro for his creation. I don't like to cook, but I'm always here to lend a hand when necessary.  I read a piece in the NYT today by this guy who loves to cook for his pals.  The comments were the best part.  Some people LOVE to cook and many find it "meditative."  Others think cooking is overrated.  Husbandman's a cooking kind of character.  This week he's making Indian Butter Tofu!  Who does that?  AMAZING!  Our adult children take after Husbandman and are also good cooks.  Sometimes I send the 3 of them recipes. I'm more on the research end of the cooking spectrum.  I read about cooking and make cooking suggestions to others. It's an important role. Everyone has their place. Everyone has value.

Our friend Patricia makes a bread that I like quite a lot.  Making this bread requires a dutch oven.  I'm thinking about buying a dutch oven and becoming a bread baker so that I can up my game and become a true member of the Cooking Creatives of High Street. I've talked about this before, but maybe it will actually happen. If it does, you can come over and have some bread and cheese and soup with us sometime if you feel like it. Or maybe, I can bring my bread to your house and we can have some wine and eat my bread with stuff you have in your fridge. 

Comments

Oh I'm really not very good at cooking. Quinn is good- always trying new things! I've barely cooked at all since beginning Dry February because, similar to watching the bachelor, I've found that cooking dinner is really a thing you want to do with a glass of wine or else it's kind of tedious.
lee said…
Do you want a Dutch Oven so you can make the bread, too?
No! But I'm extremely excited for you to make it for me.
mm said…
I think cooking is overrated, but I love folks who do!
Julie said…
I love to cook, but I would also love to have someone on the research end of it. That is no small responsibility. I don't mind the research end of it, but it's nice to have some input so that the cook doesn't have to make every decision. If someone else was excited enough to say, "Hey, try this!" I would be a tad more excited to try something. As it is, I try what sounds good to me, and even if it's delicious, the response to it from husband is sometimes lackluster because he wasn't emotionally invested in the outcome, and that is just demoralizing. Since I've invested in a year of NYTimes cooking ($40) a few months ago, I've tried TWENTY new recipes, most of them vegan or vegetarian. There really hasn't been one loser in the bunch. I would love to try your bread, and since I have made several new, delicious vegetarian soups, you can bring your bread here and we'll dine.
KC said…
I like to cook, so that's handy.

When I first read this blog entry, I read "nasty carrot soup" instead of "tasty carrot soup." I'm glad I went back to repair my comprehension!
LH said…
Hi Friends.

Here's an update:

Husbandman made Indian Butter Tofu this week. So good. He's also a NYT food subscriber. I'm sad to report that the bread hasn't been made yet. Geez. That dutch oven was pricy. I've got to figure this out.

Popular Posts