The Creativity

Sometimes I don't know why I do the things I do.  Take Creativity Thursday for instance.  On Creativity Thursday, we start our day with writing, or knitting, or making stuff.

This has turned into 20 minutes of everyone making things with cups, rubber bands, tin foil, tape, popsicle sticks.  Everyone's crazily making weird useless objects while I'm trying to peacefully collage in my notebook.  When the timer goes off after 20 minutes, guess what? No one feels like ending the creativity and no one wants to clean up. I turn into a grouch and then we start morning meeting with me glaring at everyone while we're singing our morning song.

I'm forced to ask myself that age old question: Are you an idiot, Heffernan?   Why don't you just stop Creativity Thursday?

I walked at recess with a Thirdlander and told him about my frustration with Creativity Thursday.  He suggested we end, rather than begin, the day with Creativity Thursday. Yeah, sounds great, but do you know what it's like to get Thirdlanders to clean up the room at 3:30 in the afternoon after they've put in a full day of getting educated?  Let me tell you something, my friends, I've seen it first hand on the daily and it's far from fun.

I've got to make a change and I will, but for now I'm going to just focus on the good part of Creativity Thursday.  The Thirdlanders love it and today I've got the start of a quite nice collage.

Comments

Nancy said…
20 before lunch? Helpers get an extra treat at lunch??
N
lee said…
I like this!!!
mm said…
I love creativity Thursday although I understand the frustrations.
LH said…
I'm forming some new plans around Creativity Thursday. We might all team up on specific maker missions.

That's one of the new ideas I have.

Popular Posts