The Identity

I'm not a sentimental mom. I've never been one to pine for the days when the kiddos were little. Never cried when they had their first days of school or had a new birthday. I've mostly been curious about every new stage and step and I've felt pretty happy that I've gotten to be along for the ride. But this college thing Teendaughter's into now is shaking the hell out of my identity. I want to be excited and happy, but I mostly feel sorry for myself. I like having her around. Right here in the house. I like seeing her every day and talking to her. I like seeing her pals around. I feel vaguely like I've been left behind. Teendaughter texted me a lot yesterday so maybe we'll get into a groove and I'll shape up and create some new cool role for myself in her far away adventureland. Until I figure this out, I have told #1 Son that he's definitely making the right choice, staying home with the family. His good choice will be recognized and rewarded in some way this weekend. I'm buying him some gifts. I'll probably pick up something for TD as well. I'm sure she didn't grow up on purpose. She's a good kid, with lots of potential.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I talked with teen son yesterday about his good choice. I think he should be rewarded nicely for hanging around. Of course teen daughter should be rewarded as well.
jw
Anonymous said…
I'm thinking that you need a bit of a reward/pick-me-up as well. On-line shopping is always fun cause then you get a present in the mail! And hey--have P and TD get you a college t while they are there!
N
Anonymous said…
You ARE still along for the ride. Always will be. You've just changed seats.
And speaking of "change," I like your new format.
D/
KC said…
(((hugs!!))) from us for you and td. also, i still talk to my mom a lot.
LH said…
I bought #1 a game for his Xbox. Madden 10.

Popular Posts