The Fist

Fist of Five. It's a new thing I learned at the workshop yesterday. You can use Fist of Five to pre-assess student knowledge about upcoming units. Say you'll be teaching about the Civil War. Before you start, just hold up your fist and say, "Fist of Five. Five means you know all the causes and effects of the Civil War. Zero means you've never even heard of it." When students hold up a continuum of fingers you can use that info for unit planning purposes.
I used Fist of Five about 200 times last night.
"Fist of Five, Pizza for dinner."
"Fist of Five, Quality of our days."
"Fist of Five, Interest in answering the telephone."

Sadly, the fam, for the most part, would not get into my Fist of Five Fervor. Teendaughter on occasion would hold up a few fingers while reading her book. #1 son just flat out said, "No" every time I pointed to him for a Fist of Five. Husbandman ignored the entire project.
Yet, I soldiered on with Fist of Five, using the technique at every turn.

Comments

Anonymous said…
omg. I'm surprised someone didn't hold up a particular finger for you when doing the fist of five. :)
jw
KC said…
i'm pretty sure the sophs and junes may have the same reaction as q. i think that might be the case.
LH said…
I used it a bunch of times at my 3 hour meeting this afternoon. Everyone started really getting into it!

Fist of Five. going back to school???????
Anonymous said…
OMG! Is this a joke?! I know what finger I would hold up - for every topic.
D/
KC said…
i'm going to go ahead and say three fingers. three solid ones. and i'm also going to agree to try this with my kids because i am a BRIGHT LIGHT!
Sarah M said…
This fist of five stuff is hilarious! Thanks for sharing and CONGRATS on the new position! All the best!

Popular Posts