The Hubbub


The classroom has been wickedly hot since day 1. It gets up to about 116 degrees in there, every single day. We have 2 fans blowing, blinds pulled down, the works and we're still sweating, every last one of us, young and old. But today the heroes came and fixed the a.c. Sadly, as they were fixing it, a parent got involved and insisted that a refrigerator be brought to my classroom so we could have cold water. She also brought in a third fan. The custodian was not happy with me, nor were others who hold authority. I kept telling them that I had nothing to do with the parental assistance/insistence, but I could tell they doubted me. At any rate, the room is cool now, and that's all that matters. A few kids complained of the cold about 20 minutes after the repair, but I told them they weren't allowed to do that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am so happy for you!! I thought someone was going to have to die from heat exhaustion before they would fix it. Just keep ignoring that parent!
KV
LH said…
I am amazed it was fixed. These things usually don't turn out this way.

Thanks for coming by and commenting! :)
Anonymous said…
Hand out sweaters. That's what I do in the library when peeps complain.
jw
Anonymous said…
I, too, am amazed that it was fixed. The reputation of school district maintenance staff -- all of 'em, not just yours -- on issues like this is notoriously poor. I am glad it's not +100 degrees in your classroom.

However, I must say I'm not in favor of running the AC to the point people are cold. If they're just being whiny kids, that's one thing, but I'd like to ask you to consider how we're fueling all that AC...

Struggling with figuring out how not to freeze in my office even though it's +100 degrees outside,

mary
LH said…
I hate the freezing classroom situation as well.
But now my cr is just comfortable and right.

Someone chided me for instigating the repair by saying, "Do you know that repair cost 1500$?"

Well, gee whiz, I'm really sorry, muchacho.
KC said…
one time, the admin at our school tried to make us feel really guilty for having working ac by telling us that a custodian had to sit by a water tank all day regulating the level.
Anonymous said…
What's up friend? Am waiting for some pix from 4th street. Did you go? What are you doing this weekend? Call me!
N

Popular Posts