The Auditions


Depressing day with the sixers yesterday. I perked up after talking with other teacher pals about their own frustrating weeks. Misery truly does love company. It’s that time of year I suppose.
Sometimes I wonder if I’m cut out for this gig because I've been noticing that I repeatedly sabotage my own objectives.
Example: Before heading down to the computer lab yesterday, I gave a big yak about hall etiquette. I suggested that we all pretend we were auditioning for a movie about a normal school with normal students who move normally through the building. Then I demonstrated normal walking versus insane walking. We got out into the hall and they were actually moving along behind me in a remarkably quiet clump. It was then that images of West Side Story popped into my head and I began snapping my fingers and sashaying like a Shark or perhaps a Jet at the head of the pack. All hell broke loose of course. I had no one to blame but myself. As usual.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's a great number. It'd be hard not to break out into song with an opportunity like that. Maybe I'll watch West Side Story tonight.
Undomestic said…
You are such a fun teacher. Thanks for making me laugh tonight..I didn't think that was possible.
Anonymous said…
I LOVE the theme song to WSS --- perhaps you could incorporate a little music-dance number into your hall etiquette lesson! -- Happy Mother's Day to you sis!
LH said…
Hey kiddos, I'm taking tomorrow off so that's the good news of the day.
Maybe they'll have forgotten the whole thing by the time I get back.

thanks, b. mother's day's been fun. got a candle, some roses, and a cool ceramic bowl for my small bowls from around the world collection. doesn't get much better than that.
KC said…
i have done that dance in class, too. last week, in fact. it's catchy, but the kids managed to just look at me as if i were insane and not join in.

happy mother's day to you!
Anonymous said…
If we taught in the same school, they WOULD make a movie of a principal and her crazy teachers. I do the same thing - way to often. Last week we were playing follow the leader around the building.

You must realize the power you have. If they are following you in WSS feature dance, then they will follow you into class silently. Just decide what you want.

I struggle with my role all the time. Am I to be an adult who shows them how to follow rules and be quietl? Am I to be an adult who shows them how to be a real person who gets tired of being quiet? Or is it how to have fun and still be respectful of others? I know the answer, the trouble is balance. It is hard for adults, why do we think kids can do it?

Thanks for making me think about my classroom behavior.

Jeff
LH said…
Kace, Ros saw West Side Story last weekend at the high school. She LOVES musicals and has been singing the songs constantly. What play is your high school doing???

And mr. jeffbeff, today i came up with something quite catchy. No one would start DEAR, so I started singing, to the tune of RESPECT...
R.E.A.D.I.N.G.
That is what you'll do for me!
They got into it and all broke into several versus of the Aretha classic.
These classroom jingles really get the job done, don't they? How many days ya got, mister?
Anonymous said…
If I were one of your sixers, I would love you so much.
(Come to think of it, I DO love you!)
LH said…
And I DO love you too, anon.
I'm pretty sure i do, at any rate. :)
jm said…
I love this! I want to be a sixer in your class (sigh).

Popular Posts