The Steamboat School



I read quite a few books during our African American Read In yesterday.  Steamboat School was one of my favorites.  Here's the story.  In Missouri in the 1840's a law was passed that African American people---slave or free----could not go to school.  So Reverend John Berry Meachum was forced to shut down his school.  He later opened a Floating Freedom School on a steamboat that floated on the Mississippi.  Because guess what?  Missouri doesn't own the Mississippi.  Awesome book.  You should read it if you want to.  Another favorite was My Pen by Christopher Myers. Top Notch.

Comments

jdoc said…
Hold placed at the public library. Thanks for the book tips!
mm said…
I like Christopher Myers. I need to look at My Pen.
Anonymous said…
You are the best. Just wanted you to know.
kc said…
This looks fabulous. Great tip.

Popular Posts